Amy and Rory Williams
request the honour of your presence
at the wedding of their daughter
Melody Pond (a.k.a River Song)
On Saturday 1st October 2011
So how was it?
Well I think Moffat got away with his clever way of killing the Doctor and not doing so; although little actually happened (except in flashback / alternate world) this does mark the drawing of several lines in the long running story of the Doctor, River, Amy and Rory. It also points towards a change of style for the next series – maybe building towards the 50th? I also enjoyed it particularly the alternate history.
The good and the not so good
Lots to like, the good includes:
- A good twist with the Teselecta to allow the Doctor to die
- The alternate world was fabulous fun
- The passing of the Brigadier was marked
- Alternate Rory showed yet more talent from Arthur Darvill
- Alternate Amy was great and ruthless
- Nice relationship developing between Amy and River despite the daughter being older than the mother!
- We understand more but not everything
- Great scenes of the Doctor chasing clues – e.g. the Dalek sequence; all very Indiana Jones!
- It was River – but why? Anyone could have been in the spacesuit (as we discovered) and why do it that way?
- The disposal of the alien who fell into the pit of skulls was lazy.
The story arc(s)
River may or may not appear again, and we assume that the next series shows a Doctor working more from the shadows and also from Dorium that:
On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature may speak falsely or fail to give answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never, ever be answered
Expect more on this and probably a new companion. One day we may find out why the TARDIS exploded last season!