I picked up the Pertwee era Day of the Daleks which promised better effects, a convincing number of Daleks (the BBC only had three available it appears), Nick Briggs re-doing the voices and a host of other digital / CGI tweakings. As I remembered watching this at the time I thought I would pick it up, plus a friend of mine featured in the DVD extras! (You know who you are!).
Having watched this I thought of a couple of questions:
- Is the update worth having?
- What do I think of the actual story?
Is the update worth having?
What do I think of the actual story?
- Jo Grant – absolutely no role in the story at all. Gets captured, acts as a lure for the Doctor (no needed as he would have been interested in the Daleks). Very weak for her
- Venusian Karate – no amount of CGI could make this look anything other than ridiculous. No more to say on the subject
- Attitude to weapons – the Doctor is very casual towards picking up a weapon and blowing up Ogrons. What would the current Doctor say?!
- Attitude to drink – here the Doctor readily indulges in the wine cellar and likes a good Burgundy. This is a theme that varies across all incarnations / different writers
- The future – we all wear pale face paint whilst talking like zombies
- The mine-workers – once more Daleks are digging the Earth, this time for minerals. These scenes convinced a lot less than Hartnell’s Invasion of Earth I am afraid.